Tracing the Lineage for the Texas Medical Rangers
The Medical Reserve Corps of the State of Texas is unique because it is part of the Military Forces of the State of Texas. The Texas MRC, known as the Texas Medical Rangers, addresses the need, evident since September 11, 2001, to protect our homeland, when called by the Governor of the State. They will augment federal, state, and local health authorities, in a disciplined and efficient manner, providing expertise and services of the highest quality, and will be fully integrated into disaster plans, serving their communities, and fostering the tradition of "Texans serving Texans." They are will manage Alternate Treatment Facilities, serve in Medical Response Teams, staff Texas Department of Health Call Centers, and assist with local breakdown/delivery of the Strategic National Stockpile.
Texas has a military history that began in the 1700s with the Compa“Őas Volantes (Ranging Companies) of New Spain. They were small contingents of mounted men that protected the population of its Northern provinces. The State of Coahuila-Texas was created when New Spain became the Republic of Mexico. Section Five of its constitution ordered that "In all the towns of the State there shall be established corps of civic militia and these shall constitute the military force of the same."
Texas became independent from Mexico in 1836, and one of the United States in 1845. Having a state militia was familiar to the men and women who fought for its independence, since the majority came from a nation in whose revolutionary war the militias had played a most significant role, even before it had a regular army. When its constitution was written, Section Six stated that "The Governor shall be Commander-in-chief of the army and navy of this State and of the militia except when they shall be called into the service of the United States." The State of Texas has had an organized militia since 1941 when the Texas State Guard was created to operate alongside the Texas Army and Air National Guards.
The Texas Medical Rangers were organized as part of the State Guard when Governor Perry, in a January 2003, addressed a letter to Major General Wayne Marty, Adjutant General, directing the establishment of a Medical Reserve Corps and that its first unit be located at the University of Texas Health Science Center-San Antonio. The Adjutant General activated the unit in February 2003. An inaugural ceremony was held in March 2003 with Major General Harold Timboe, M.D. appointed as Commander. Regional Groups have been established at San Antonio, Dallas- Fort Worth, each covering a multi-county region. A regional group for the Houston area, and other for West Texas was established in April 2004, and for Central Texas in May 2004. Units are also being developed in north and central Texas.